Harness PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and retractable lanyards have a lifespan of 10 years.
As per AS/NZS 1981.4 – 2009, once the ‘remove from service’ date has been reached it must be taken out of service and destroyed.
Find below details to ensure you get the best out of your ZERO harness gear and equipment.
- The system needs to be checked and recertified by a competent height safety inspector every 6 months for non corrosive environments or 3 monthly for corrosive or harsh environments. (To be determined by specialist depending on severity of surrounding conditions.)
- Never clean using acids or other chemicals that could damage the system components.
- The harness webbing is subject to wear depending on frequency of usage. Any signs of excessive wear will require the harness equipment to be replaced.
- The identification label showing the manufacturer’s name and date of manufacture must be clearly visible.
- As per Australian Standards AS/NZS 1891.1 harness gear and equipment must be removed from service after 10 years from date of manufacture.
- Harness gear and equipment must be maintained and stored in a dry, protected area, away from acids and ultra violet rays which cause material fibres to break down and reduce their safety and life expectancy.
- Any deterioration or damage to the system or equipment must be reported to person in control of the workplace.
- Maintenance inspections must be clearly documented. Any non-conformance must be clearly identified and tagged ‘Do Not Use’ until corrective action by a competent person has been completed.
For more details, please download the ZERO Harness Gear Operation Manual and refer to the maintenance and checklist sections.