- Do not leave goods packaged and stored outdoors. If goods need to be left outside for a time prior to install, we recommend goods are unpacked and separated on timber so no two pieces of aluminium are in contact allowing moisture staining.
- In storage, do not place aluminium with other metals. Use wood faced shelving, racks and bins.
- Store away from caustics, nitrates, phosphates and acids.
- Use older stock first.
- Upon receipt of deliveries, materials should also be inspected for signs of wetness to avoid the possibility of water staining. This should include looking for wet packaging or pallets.
- Do not store aluminium near obvious water sources such as steam or water pipes, and keep it at a reasonable distance from open doors and windows.
- If the metal is received cold, allow it to come gradually to room temperature, which may take several days, before opening or breaching the packaging. Even a small opening can allow atmospheric moisture to condense on the material.
For more information on water staining read our article, “How to prevent aluminium discolourisation”.