Australian Standard 1657:2018 (fixed platforms, walkways, stairways and ladders - design, construction and installation) has been updated but the reality is not much will affect Sayfa products or installation. The changes include clarification to certain words and phrases and updated drawings to align with the relevant clauses. While this review has addressed some issues found in AS1657:2013, according to Standards Australia, "the bulk of the Standard is not affected by this revision".
What has changed?
Some changes include:
- Clarification to the word ‘level’, which generally meant replacing it with less ambiguous words. Definitions for ladder flight and landings have been revised to replace the word ‘level’.
- Figure 5.4(b) has been revised to align with the text of the Clause relating to rectangular handrails.
- Clauses 5.6.4 and 5.6.5 have been revised.
- Clause 7.3.6(a) is accompanied by a new figure, which has been included to clarify the ‘length of the landing’.
- Figures 7.5 and 7.9 have been revised to align with the text of the relevant clauses.
That's the good news ...
So, at the end of the day, basically clarification on some clauses and one or two updated drawings that have little impact to Sayfa products or their installation.
Now for the bad news ...
Unfortunately, this change in Standard from AS1657-2013 to AS1657:2018 will affect a large majority of our brochures, manuals, literature and our website as we do reference this Standard in our technical information. Over the course of the next week or so we will endeavour to update all relevant information so please be patient as we work our way through.
To view a preview and purchase a copy of the new AS1657-2018 Standard go to SAI Global.
Need more information? Contact Sayfa on 1300 301 755 or email@example.com and we can clarify any concerns that you may have about the impact of the new updates to AS1657:2018.